View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (16)
StReeTz is an unknown quantity at this point
Austin's 240 Build

Hey Zilvia, thought I'd share my build with everyone.

I picked up this 1993 240SX hatchback in September for a very fair price. My plan is to turn this 240SX into a competition drift car. It is a pretty clean shell with original paint. The underside has no rust. I also own an automobile detailing company so I decided to work some magic on the very neglected exterior. After a couple compound jobs the paint really started to shine.

When I got it the interior was partially gutted but shortly after purchasing the car I stripped it further ; removing the rear seat belt assemblies, rear speaker decks, rear plastic quarter panels, and various other items that would no longer be needed.
I began preparing the interior for the roll cage. I started by stripping the sound deadening from interior. I have seen many people use dry ice and a hammer to beat the material out of the car. I decided to use a heat gun and a metal scraper to avoid any dings and dents to make the overall finished appearance much cleaner. Yes, it takes alittle longer and doesn’t smell the greatest but it’s free if you have the tools. As for the residue left on the body I used a wire wheel on a grinder and it works wonders. Cleans the surface very effectively and kills two birds with one stone as I will have to prep the surfaces for welding anyway. The past couple of days have been very cold with temperatures in the teens so I haven’t had much time to work on the car. Today was in the 40’s so I decided to get out there and make some more progress. I decided to remove the center console and dashboard to gain access to more of the sound deadening as well as the heater core because I am not running heat or air conditioning. Nissan must have had plenty of small children working for them when they squeezed that heater core in there. I had to take it completely apart before even thinking about sliding it out. That thing was a real pain to get out but I managed. I also machined up some temporary hose plugs for the coolant to the heater core.

With all that junk removed from behind the dash I test fitted my hydraulic e-brake. Looks like the handle is alittle too long so I’ll have to trim it down a bit. Here are some pictures from the hydraulic e-brake fabrication.

Today I got some more work done. I decided to remove my rear bumper because the tow hook was denting the top of my exhaust. Started with the (4) 14mm bolts in the cabin and the (3) 10mm bolts on either side. Then I removed the strange vent on the passenger side. Went to pull the bumper off and the right side slid right out and the left side was not budging. Went back under the car to discover the very rusty, very seized couple of bolts holding the exhaust hanger bracket to the bumper support. The two on the bottom were so bad we air chiseled them out. The other couple on the sides I got out with an air ratchet. The bumper then slid right out with the big heavy bumper support. I plan on using the four in cabin bolt holes as mounting points for a custom chromoly crash bar.

Here I am making templates for aluminum dash inserts. Then plasma cut them out of a sheet of aluminum.

Here are some pictures of the fabrication of the rear crash bar.

Sexy Paint

Then I began to stitch weld the seams inside of the car for increased rigidity.

More to come!

Last edited by StReeTz; 09-16-2011 at 07:50 PM..
StReeTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links