View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
drftngs14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
drftngs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Im glad this thread was created because Im an insurance agent, broker. Obviously there is a lot of misinformation being discussed through our wonderful media and current administration. Those on group coverage through employers this reform has affected you as a much as those who buy insurance themselves outside an employer. Reason health insurance costs have increased is for a few reasons:
1) Since insurance carriers have to accept and cover anyone with any pre existing, they had to spread the risk of claims throughout the entire market, including those who are young and healthy, like myself. Im, self employed and pay my own insurance so Im in the same boat as many of you and those I speak with daily.
2) New taxes and fees put in play by this reform causes their administration fees to increase, which in turns makes premiums rise.
3) As claims from people with pre existing conditions come in, those premiums those individuals are paying will not off set the amount going out. This is related to point 1

Now, don't assume Im on the side of insurance companies, Im not. In a way this reform shold net me more income. I am opposed to this reform cause its done nothing to hold down costs, unless of course you don't make a great deal of money and qualify for a decent subsidy from the gov't.

Also keep in mind you are not forced to go into the exchange or marketplace. You can choose to stay in the private sector and pay similar costs to what you're paying now. These plans still have medical underwriting so you can be turned down or have an exclusion placed on a specific condition. The other down fall of staying outside the exchange is you are subject to the tax fine as Obama does not see these plans as "qualified". What I mean by this, these plans provide options to you, you are not forced to select the coverages he sees fit for you. Rememberr all the reform, exchange or marketplace plans must be uniform as these are the qualified plans. Personally, Im keeping my current coverage and paying the fine. Im 27 yrs old, I don't need dr visits, rx, or dental nor do I want to pay 75-100% more through the exchange or marketplace for the same coverage. Since I make over 60k as an individual I qualify for no subsidy and my rate would be 298 instead of 132 per month.

If anyone seems to think the govt should be able to tell you what coverage you have to have, don't complain when they start telling you you can or can not do other things, like possess guns of your choice or job you choose or college you go to.

If anyone needs help or has questions Im more than happy to answer questions, describe your options and if Im licensed in your state Ill help you enroll.
drftngs14 is offline   Reply With Quote