Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #135
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by revcyanide View Post
Sorry if this has been covered.

What are the benefits to running e85 N/A?

I am seriously thinking of converting my 240 over to e85 when I swap my VQ in, would be easy enough since I have done almost all the supporting mods already.

Everything I see in here is referring to boosted cars. The injector + sizing should be the same correct? (+25% basically)

It seems like this would be something really easy to tune NA, as you don't have to worry about being too rich or too lean in boost.

It will be a mildish build, My VQ is fresh with 0 miles forged internals rebuild with stock compression. I will be adding JWT s1 cams, and after that just basic bolt ones (I already have a lightweight flywheel, intake, 3 " single exhaust, planning on fabbing up some long tube headers, solid driveshaft etc etc blah blah blah)

I am really hoping I can break the 300 whp mark with a mild street build, a great tune, and e85, if this even feasible? should I just stick to pump gas?

Tuning is my weak point with cars, so any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

*edit, I live in CO, EVERY gas stationed has an E85 pump here, and it is actually a LOT cheaper than 91 pump gas. it is just a track car, I have a DD.

*edit edit, also should a 255 lph in tank Walbro be enough for this mild of a build?
dialing AFRs is not hard. Dialing timing is hard and time consuming, and the power gain (or loss, or death of engine) is there.

Benefits are low on an N/A, a bit crispier response, a bit more power.

It works wonder on charged engines because it can use more boost. e85 is just a very high octane fuel. If you plan on driving ALWAYS on e85, install high compression pistons or get the head grinded with a thin headgasket. I think you could go as high as 14 / 15:1 compression ratio. THAT will give you an insanely reactive engine, and some power too ... if the bearings, crank and pistons can take it.

The whole point of e85 is "high octane". It is around 104. Which means higher compression, wether by using a bigger turbo, or high compression engines.

I dont know the VQ , but seeing how i get 300hp with a 1.8L boosted at 1bar, i cant see a VQ not doing that.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote