View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #49
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I See you put the trans in the tunnel at *some height* and measured from the rails etc...

However, I don't think you can just put the trans wherever you want. The IRS of 240sx demands an equal and opposite pinion angle, and that means there will be only 1 exact position for the tailshaft of the transmission, which needs to be found using some technique (laser/gauge), that is, you can't just prop the trans up anywhere you want and call it good.

When I put the 4l80e into a 240sx I thought the same thing. I put the trans up against the tunnel 'roof' and said "HMM It fits fine like this" and even went so far to make mounts and called it 'good'. The next day I realized I was about -5* when I should have been about -2* and that meant some 2" additional height was needed on the tail shaft, I had to cut the trans tunnel and bash it like crazy to get that trans high enough. And you couldn't tell by just looking at it from underneath that it needed to be raised.

The consequences of having poor pinion angle I believe are some of the worst custom-car consequences ever known to our hobby (vibrations, parts wear, undriveable)
There may be some trick with using the OEM 2-piece driveshaft hanger to fix this, but I wasn't able to figure anything with that out. Instead I used a 1-piece.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote