View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #28
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
It's really not that complicated to run forged pistons..and some of them have offset wrist pins to reduce piston slap and friction: http://blog.wiseco.com/what-is-wrist-pin-offset

If the OP was building a stock SR I'd say go for a stock rebuild, but he mentioned 350whp which is about double the power with much higher heat compared to what the original engine was designed to do. I would recommend investing in parts that are designed for much higher heat tolerances, even if they require a short warm-up cycle.
the original engine from 1998-2002 is approx 300rwhp capable. 350 is nothing for that engine. I have made/tuned out 420rwhp for around 14+ years on stock sr20det engines, fully confident in their ability at that meager output.

I would not put a forged piston into an SR20DET unless I was aiming for over 500rwhp.

The 2jz-gte is another great example for this situation, as it is basically an sr20 piston. The stock 2jz-gte piston config supports 600rwhp easily, no questions asked, for 20+ years (supraforums contains this historical data) so figure a minimum of 100rwhp per piston is absolutely acceptable. We can further extrapolate this data to confirm that V8 LS engines which also use the same type of cast-aluminum piston are capable of around 1200rwhp for the similar reasons (pressure/area) mathematically speaking, and in practically application these data hold up.

Caveat, you must be a master tuning artist. Not just call yourself one but actually be one capable af. The cast aluminum piston is a brittle piece, and piston temperature must be carefully set and monitored in the minds eye. Very few people understand the purpose of 100% distilled water injection to this end or have utilized such features to protect their engine, yet it becomes absolutely critical if you intend to glean 100% reliability for 200,000 mileage at just over the sort of power output I am discussing here.

To put it another way... of course 98% of individuals are going to say that the stock piston isn't capable or is too weak for XXX power. That is because they lack the skill set necessary to make it work to it's full potential. Forged pistons are a crutch that allow one to be terrible at engine config and worse at tuning because forged piston withstand the abuse of ignorance at the cost of mileage capability and reliability not to mention quintupling the cost of said engine.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote