View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #34
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
It's been a long weekend piecing together that parts to make it run. Started off making a new radiator coupler using the summit one and a chunk of an old wastegate dump pipe. Looks pretty cheesy but it gets the job done.

Then got back to and finished welding the turbo manifold. Upon install I started to learn a hard lesson. When I first started making this manifold I was challenged with how to bolt up the turbo to the flange as there was no threads and it was to big to tap. At the time I thought it was brillant to cut the heads of some old KA headbolts, as they were also long enough for my collector flange heatsink, and weld them into place with the TIG. Oh, how wrong I was! Each time i went to thighten the nuts on the turbo on stud would break free of its welds. After about the 3rd time I gave up and got bolts to go threw the flange. Then in quick succession broke a drill bit and my favorite carbide burr, this was making for a really bad day. chucked another burr in the drill and eventually cleared the holes for through bolts, and notch the heads of the bolts.

Once everything was in place I installed the new AN to banjo fiting. Its really tight fit to both the wastegate and the heatshield. In the future i may have to slightly notch the wastegate for the banjo.

Next came the hood. And for now the S2000 radiator doesn't seem like a good idea as it's to tall it fit in between the power brace and the hood with the radaitor fill neck on it. but that's not going matter... on the other hand the K24 nearly fits without cutting a hole in the hood, thanks to making an oil pan the puts the windage tray basically on the power steering rack. If I notch the valve cover or bought a KMiata valve cover I wouldn't have to cut a hole.

later i will be putting on a Dmax vent to hid everything.

and after adding 5 quarts of oil to the pan and an addintional 2 quarts to the lines/filter/cooler.... its time to start it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo7eSsAQFw

After priming the oil system, it started right up first try on a modified K20 base tune. I'm really starting like Haltech for its simplicity. Bad news, the oil pan I welded together long ago has a few welds dripping oil and I don't have time to make a new pan before I deploy. I really should of took my time and TIG welded it instead of MIG. So, that is all for now, Friday ill be putting it along with my entire garage in storage in preparation to leave. I'll be back late summer, early fall and hopefully I have place to work on this thing.
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote