View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #30
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood
Not sure what you mean by fan of stock bodywork? I put 285/20's on my car the other day with no rubbing just need the correct offsets. I would never run 20's on my car its a long story but 285's will fit under the stock rear fenders. I think 295's will.
I would have to agree with you though on power before setting the car up correctly. I am a much better drifter today than I would have been if I started with a high horsepower car. My car has a completly stock ka and I am doing almost everything before I do my swap and even after I swap the sr it will be almost completely stock with a stronger clutch and some bolt on's I would lots rather carry a lot of speed and be full throttle than have to modulate the clutch and throttle through the entire drift.

edit: go bigger than 225's you will regret it otherwise. With a stock ka I can spin 225/45-17 mich pilot sports all day long especially 2nd or 3rd gear drifts. if you want grip go to 245/45-16's

I never plan to go wider than 275 all around, i make my own fender flares that rivet onto the existing fenders and give me an extra 1.75 inches of clearence on each corner to fit the 17x10's with the 275/40 series tries i plan to run for competition.

I used this car as a daily driver for about the past year driving to school work everything, I did the power because my first 240 had a blown motor so i swapped this in, then second 240 i got (this one) had a blown motor and a melted fusebox, so i fixed all that and slowly it got to the point is is today. I did mild suspension with grippy tires for how i have been driving on the track. I moved the tries up form the old ones i was driving on before, everyone seems to think that extreme traction is teh way to go with a track car, but to learn the car you have to actually learn what it can /cant do with or without traction. the small tires i used for the 4 track events this past year worked great, i dont complain, i simply say they werent enough for me to do my best. I am upgrading to the 225/50R16 Toyo RA1's, they are an R-COMPOUND TIRE!! VERY sticky for the track once heated up, i am not ment to go 100% throttle through every corner at every possible second, that not how you road race, so i dont need a relly wide tire yet until i upgrade my power some more. Drifting a a 245 tire is alot different from gripping with an r-compound, as around at race shops about r-compounds, for a car with my setup 225 is fine especially for the rim size i have (16x7.5). At the shop by me, some guy boughta 240 all setup for grip that came with brand new Toyo RA1's 245/40R17's, he traded them for soem used tres with far less traction so he could drift the car beasue the RA1's are way too sticky for drifting, so you need to realize that you 245 pilots are less sticky than my 225 RA1 R-Compounds, so a comparison cant be made between the two.

DRIFTERS PLEASE READ UP ON R-COMPOUND TIRES BEFORE YOU POST ABOUT MY TIRE CHOICES!!!!! SPECIFICALLY "Toyo RA1" TIRES!!!!!

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote