Thread: brake pads
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
win win situation

First, I would recommend getting a second set of pads for the track. Reason being that any pad that is good on the street will not last more than two track weekends - TOPS. Any pad that is good on the track will not last more than 10,000 mi. and a few track weekends - oh yeah - and they don't work so good w/o heat. I made the mistake of running Panther Plus' on the street and got 3 weekends and about 7K mi. out of them (then had to replace the pads and the rotors). Waste. For my second set, I also bought some OEM pads along w/ another set of P+'s and managed to get 3 track events, maybe 500 street miles out of the P+'s (w/ about 60% life remaining) and all the street stopping I need. I have better performance on the street and I'm not wasting a $135 set of pads by grinding them away while cold at stoplights.

That said, I run Carbotechs and have had a great experience. I boiled my fluid the first weekend out (Wilwood sh!t fluid) - but have never had pad fade ever. Wear depends on how you use them. I know peope who've done 8 events on one set. My current set would likely go about that long. Braking has a lot of feel and is easy to modulate. It isn't like Hawk Blues, but not too far off. Rotor wear is great, considering, unless you use them on the street. With true mixed use, I'd guess new rotors for every 1.5-2 sets of pads (my rotors still look great w/ track only use). Dust is dark, but not as thick as Hawks; although almost equally hard to clean off. They work well enough on the street that if you really want dual use, want to drive to the track w/ them, or are too lazy to change between events that are a few weeks apart its isn't an issue. They've worked well enough for me that I would use them again, but I would step up to the XP's.

The only Cobalt pads I know about are the Ferodos - which are hardcore racing only, akin to a Hawk Blue. I know Andie is a great guy though and thoroughly knows his stuff (iirc, he's resonsible for the P+ compound at Carbotech from when he was w/ Larry). I would totally trust his recommendation (or Matt's at Carbotech). Either way, you can't really go wrong.

Last edited by HippoSleek; 01-03-2003 at 08:13 AM..
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote