View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #27
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Offset View Post
i have a question, hopefully a simple answer to go with it.

i turned 16 in january, and i will be getting a job very soon as the summer approaches. I plan on saving about 2500-3000 for a stock 240 for my next birthday, and my question is as follows. I know a fair bit about cars and engines and the like, but i was just wondering what you would suggest for a beginner like me, a 89-90 SOHC 240, or a DOHC S13, in terms of maintenance/turbo capability later on down the road. I am asking since i see that the SOHC 240s usually go for less, but in terms of aftermarket and reliability isues, is it worth it to get a DOHC??

thanks in advance for the reply!
Let me tell you a little bit about my 240sx history.

It all started out with a dookie brown 240sx hatch. 190k on it...the odometer died at 170k...nothing really worked. It was an auto. I dogged the shit out of it for the 9 months I owned it, put probably 20k on it, and never changed the oil.

The guy I sold it to still drives it today.

If my memory serves me correctly the KAE have a better powerband as well.

Side note: ALWAYS BE 100% HONEST WITH WHAT YOU SELL. Don't do what I did to my car and tell the owner you babied it. I'm 100% up front with everything and everyone else should be.

Now as for modification down the line, many people sell rebuild kits for KAE, but there are many many MANY more parts for the KADE, and KADE is what wins the popularity contest.

If I were you i'd focus more on body condition, cause swapping a KA is easy as cake. I personally worry more about mileage/rust/condition more, cause either will suffice and both will probably be pulled out eventually.

I don't know Canadian prices, but in the US you used to be able to buy a perfect 240sx for $1000USD before Tokyo Drift. Now they want $3000USD. Don't give into the hype...i'd rather get semi-ripped off on a shell and fix it up myself than pay THAT MUCH. But don't get a cursed car, just try and talk people down. I've talked down a $3000 240sx to $1300 before, it's all in how you do it.