View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #19
sve7nsk

Trader Rating: (0)
sve7nsk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
If you want to sell it, maybe you should do so as-is, or if you think you'll get enough return, take it to a reputable shop.

Worth more with unknown fuel problems you don't talk about in depth, than with too much info on every rabbit hole you went down.

No offense, but this thread makes me think you don't have the mechanical experience to do this in a cost-effective way, unless you think your time's worth nothing. You could spend hundreds of hours and make the car worth less, through no personal failing but lack of experience.
First of all, thank you. I always appreciate honesty and criticism because it helps me think about things critically.

Turns out I didn't crimp the butt connectors connecting the fuel pump hard enough soo they kind of just fell off while I was at work. I'm thankful it didn't happen anywhere else or even while I was driving because that would have been a hell of a lot worse.

I told my cousin the same night and he said he would come look at it after it was towed home and when he got here he had a complete fuel assembly from a friend who was parting out a 240sx. He wanted $200 for it and since it was a lot less rusty and would make things a hell of a lot easier for him I let him install it (since he wanted to make sure it worked, it hadn't been used for 2 years). It already had a Walbro pump and a working fuel sending unit (for the fuel gauge since mine was done for). Having a working fuel gauge was well worth the $200 anyway.

We got the car running, changed the fuel filter, and hit the road to the nearest Chevron. The old gas in the lines smelled like shit while we were driving but we filled it up, drove it home my 180sx has been running great since . It seems the problem was a combination of old gas, sediment buildup in the tank, pump, and filters, and possibly clogged injectors at times. The fuel filter was so clogged that the "liquid" coming out looked like dark carrot juice.

I wanted to go back to your statement when you said "lack of experience" and yes, that's very true. I did small things with my Civic, mostly just plugs and fluids and that's the extent of my first-hand experience with working on cars. I want to learn and I know the internet can teach me a lot of things but I feel like it isn't enough to understand exactly what I'm doing. I take my time, I make mistakes, and that's just how I learn. I wish I could get more first-hand experience safely (without risking my car) and have someone show me how things are done but that's almost impossible unless you go to school for this kind of stuff or get trained in a shop. I don't want to make this a career, I just like it as a hobby and want to get better.

Sorry for rambling on, I just have some stuff on my mind
sve7nsk is offline   Reply With Quote