Thread: V-Mount Set-Up
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
V-Mount Set-Up

Ok guys... been thinking about it for a long time... just wanting to get the right parts and have it looking clean, like it belongs.
Currently I have called upon the Gods of Japan to help out (JUN & ARC) so you know I'm not going to do something stupid. Jun is consulting on the how to and little tid bits of advice, and ARC is quoting price on a Custom IC... basically just the IC core and tanks you see below.

Although ARC has displayed a V-mount Set-up for the SR20DET at Tokyo Auto Salon in Jan. they are not releasing for sale! So I have been looking at it very closly to see what they did.

Yes its beautiful!!
The first thing I have noticed is that the IC sits lower so that the Radiator support doesn't need to be cut... like the Signal Auto Cars.
Second is I think the Radiator is slighly smaller... also the water enters from the top on the turbo side and exits from the botom on the intake side... completly backwards from the stock set-up.
Oil cooler is on the Botom of the Radiator but that doesn't really matter, as its not part of the set-up.

I am looking at getting a Koyo Radiator and have it chopped up once the IC arrives... the logic behind this is simple... Koyo is all Aluminum so it shouldn't be hard to cut the top off to make shorter and relocate the in/ out ports as needed... and they are cheep if I fudge up the first one. Oh yeah a Bubbler or resivor Tank is needed on the Radiator because you cant have the Cap sitting at an angle or below the inlet to the engine... you will never get water back in the engine... Cap has to be higher than the Inlet on the engine.

I have seen very little info on V-mounts for the S-chassis so I thought I would share not only what I am working on but some of the info that has been passed through me. This is not a question if the V-Mount is better than Front Mount so lets not go there... If you guys have Light to shead on this topic, please do so. This is universal for KA and SR so no engine bashing.

Peace
Drew