Thread: E85 thread
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #125
VegasTiff

Trader Rating: (1)
VegasTiff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
timing wise, with e85 : add timing unless you dont get more power (real power, not "seat feel power") or your EGTs are too high. You should never get knock or det. Remember changing timing affect AFR too ...And i think you are too lean on cruise. I usually set it at 15:1 (i did not change the fuel type setting on my wideband gauge, so it means just a bit leaner than stoeich). I did add timing everywhere, but i increased it less at peak VE than everywhere else. I cant say how much i added as i was using a custom map before, so you cant really compare to a chip tune.

Turbo going that badly on boost is a problem, it usually starts to spool a bit later (like 100rpm later) but it pulls stronger so you get your full boost at the same time, if not sooner.

I think your injectors are maxed though, my 510cc are maxed with a t28r and a 1.8L engine so yours should be too.
Ok, we figured out the problem, did a boost test under air pressure and found that something was whistling on top of the intake manifold...turned out the vacuum source for the FPR was T'd off with nothing hooked up to the other side of the T! That fixed my problem...boost kicks in nice and early as it should now. We retuned on the street, and will being finishing with a dyno tune in the next month or so for getting the most out of my timing.

As far as my injectors being maxed out, yes they are, but i have a reason why i went with these injectors. I didn't want to get into a big build yet (want to enjoy my car for at least a full track season) so i figured the best bang for my buck would be to get some Subaru STI injectors and max them out on e85 at 15psi (didnt want to throw more boost that that on the t28). My thoughts are I will have a super reliable setup at 300whp. My injectors cost me $40 off someone on craigslist, had them cleaned and flow tested at $10 a piece, and got some subaru injector clips off some random legacy in the junk yard for like $2....so 50-60hp increase for under $100 is OK in my book

Another big plus...my wife doesn't complain of the smell of gas in the garage anymore! Just the smell of sweet sweet E85.

Now i'm about 300miles in since the fuel change, when should i start thinking of changing out my fuel filter? If i need to at all...
VegasTiff is offline   Reply With Quote