View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 03:16 AM   #28
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jyttah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe240 View Post
Haha with how much footage you say you have that may the awhile! But I hear you. I'm really following your build so I can see how much it'll take take to restore my s14. I really don't have too much rust except some surface stuff on my front fenders. The subframe actually looks good I guess cause the car was garage kept most of it's life.
Thats so lucky. Here in Denmark youll be lucky if you can find a S13 or S14 for under 10.000 USD. And then its rusty as fuck. One in good condition costs almost twice the amount. And to import one is equally expensive because of our taxes on cars wich is one of the highest in the world. And the same reason almost everybody drives in small shittycars like VW up, Peugeot 107, Toyota Aygo and so on.

Anyway. A small update.
Besides the 5 squaremeteres of carbon fiber cloth, i also bought a single squremeter of cheaper cloth to test with.
As i only had some old intercoolerpiping, i desided to try and wrap these with the carbon fiber.
This is the first time i tried something like that, and it ended horrible. or, actually im not done yet. But i learned a lot of do's and dont's.

First of i painted the piping black as the carbonfiber cloth is a bit see-through.
Then i layed a layer of epoxy. This was the first mistake as the cloth was sliding around and made a lot of airbubles underneath.
I had to wait untill it get tacky and then put down the cloth. This took forever (over 5 hours) as its fairly cold in the warehouse where i did it.

I tried to make the connections on the backside so it wouldnt be vissible when they are installed. even though in not using these pipings.
Then i put down another layer of epoxy. And its still in a cold warehouse with around 10 degrees celsius.

Again. because of the cold, the epoxy wouldnt harden as fast as i would like it to, and then it would just run. So theres a lot of sanding to remove the runs.

And because its piping, and not something simple as a flat panel im carbonwrapping, i have to twist and turn it multiple times to get an even coat of epoxy. But again. Im learning by doing this

Here you can see the backside that will be hidden if these pipes would be installed:

It would be cut off and sanded down so it would look smooth.

And the mailman delivered some studs for the turbo and elbow.
They are 38mm M8 x 1.25 with locknuts. Even though im gonna go with Nordlock washers also.
Jyttah is offline   Reply With Quote