View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Cool I hope it's useful for you and other people.

Here is why I decided to put this together..

First off I my tester told me that a few cylinders, but esp. cyl #3 had leaky exhaust valves. I had a 3 angle valve job done based on these results -- after the head job, the tester confirmed the leaks went away 100%.

Another day, I tested the intake system for leaks. The tester showed me that the paper upper to lower intake manifold gaskets leaked... Took apart the manifolds, and used RTV on both sides. Retested, and now the manifolds are good to 2 bar/30psi no leaks.

Just now, I finished getting the coolant lines ran and the turbo plumbed so I tested the coolant system. The tester showed me a tremendous, monstrous, stupidly huge leak on the water pump's RTV. That would have really pissed me off filling the motor with water if I didn't catch this one. I'm taking the timing belt off again to reinstall the water pump.

Anyway, after today's testing, I decided that since the LDT has saved my ass three times, I should write this up! Somehow I think the LDT will help me down the road with the FMIC also . It is definitely a useful and flexible tool that everyone should have. It's not just for testing to see if a swap motor is in good condition!