View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #17
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dsmguy1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah you guys rock man I def agree with talon up there when you say sr20DET never came to america and therefore you cannot rebuild it with just traditional engine rebuilding theory. For example the crank is nitride coated and is a very tight tolerance thats why if you ever machine an sr20 crank(which i would never do I would buy a new nissan one) you seriously have to take off very very little and recoat it and thats expensive and it takes skill. Yes I agree as well I always like to get down to it myself and im well aware of plastigauge and coming to correct tolerances ive read books on engine building and ive taken classes in automotive I fixed my old dsm engine myself however that was not a true rebuild.
Okay guys I wanna run this by you I just picked up a red top sr20det with a spun bearing I dropped the oil pan and there were metal shavings and a torn rod bearing in there. Now I know that the crank and rods need to be replaced along with bearings and hell ill even do pistons and rings too but what scares me is can I really trust a shop to clean all the minute shavings out of this engine? Its just like KingTalon said LOOK HOW SMALL the jets are on the oilers for the cams.. if even a small metal shit was lodged in there that would be catastrophic! I dont mind spending money to rebuild it but Im just scared of can it be cleaned correctly again tbh idk what do you guys think? I paid 1500$ but I got apexi power fc wiring specialties harness a radiator a transmission and a power fc commander.. I wanna do this right though thats why im asking your opinion on this.
Dsmguy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote