Thread: Motor Oil Tests
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
EDITED FOR CLARITY:

I do like this guy's testing and his honesty. He recognizes that the wear scar test is not indicative of a hydrodynamic wedge condition like engine's operate under. I definitely like that he cooked the oil, as that seemed to separate out a lot of good oils from basic ones.

The problem with the testing is that none of them take into account shear, which is a very large factor in a hydrodynamic wedge environment. Would it have changed the results? Maybe, but probably not much IMO.

I would like to point out that Amsoil is the only oil in this test that is confirmed to contain a majority of Group V Ester base stock. Some of the other oils have some, but are majority PAO or heavily hydrocracked Group III. I think this is significant. Redline had revised their safety data sheets to the point where it is unclear what percentage they use. Also higher end Motul uses Ester base stocks, but that wasn't tested. Motul and Redline both have some of the highest HTHS (High-temperature high-sheer) viscosities (at around 4.4), which mean they should do a better job not breaking down under hydrodynamic sheering. I'm not sure this has been directly compared via used oil analysis to other oils.

It's also very hard to tell how engine oil is performing without long term testing in an engine over multiple oil change intervals. Additives like zinc and moly only adhere to metal over a certain temperature and form a high-pressure anti-wear layer that is sacrificial in nature. Even with long-term testing, it's hard to identify actual wear, as many oils perform admirably.

Their racing oils are more geared toward what you're looking for, but why don't you want long oil change intervals? These guys that change synthetic oil every 3000 miles or after every race are crazy IMHO. One of the biggest benefits of synthetic oil is it's oil change interval extension.

Yeah, the only issue I have with that is that they all have been reformulated since then. Redline now has super-lightweight shockproof, and I would love to see that tested. I know my KA transmission was a big fan of pure lightweight shockproof, but most people are afraid to run something like that. I know Motul gear oil has a fantastic reputation as well.
I didn't realize they reformulated... Is there a before and after on the transaxle oil? My previous trans didn't like shockproof during cold at all.... I live in california so should matter much....

I think he ran oils that he could get ahold of... Esther and Motul is pretty hard to get ahold without ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Always enjoyed this guys channel. He runs caparisons on everything.

As for oils, Amsoil is the best stuff I've ran in the trans on my s13. I'll be changing my s14 to it soon. I'd love to run their oil in my engine but I can't get past the price. I run Mobil 1 in my Subaru, which I change at 5k miles because it's usually getting pretty dark at that point, Rotella T5 in my s14 because a jug fills it perfectly, it's cheap, and the car doesn't get driven too much, and I've started running vr1 in the drift car. Wix filters on all of them.
VR1 I heard is pretty good too.... Why not Redline? They similar I heard.... VR1 expensive?