Thread: E85 thread
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #183
Inabj2

Trader Rating: (0)
Inabj2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I been using E85 for three years and it is the reason why my bone stock sr20det with the exception of cams and an oil pan makes (and turbo and fuel obviously) 455.89 rwhp with no issues for 2+ years. (1 year with built motor where my new oil pump turned out defective, I just went back to stock.)

I have 2 walbro fuel pumps, 850 cc injectors, stock, rail stock lines (although I had to replace them recently for other stock lines.) T3/T04r 57 trim turbo set to 20.6 psi of boost, a good road tune (runs a bit rich after 7000 rpms) And other obvious support mods, but E85 related wise, all that was necessary were bigger injectors and an extra fuel pump (I leaned out on one walbro).

The hardest part of the conversion is the tune, parts wise it is stupid simple to convert.

Also when you are tuning for E85 most sensors assume you are running gas. So you do not have to convert the ratios in your head between E85 and Gas. If you are running an actual 10:1 ratio the O2 sensor will read 15:1 ratio (or close to this.) If your sensor is reading 11.5-11.7 to 1 I am actually running somewhere around 7.5 to 1.

Also in 110 degree weather in phoenix my coolant temperature is 165 Fahrenheit, even if I give it a few 450+ whp blasts. 150 in mild winter.

The only drawbacks is that you have to shut off the fuel pump to the car off first, before turning off ignition when parking it. If you do not unburned E85 will seat on the combustion chamber, and if left over night it will slowly seep through the piston rings and contaminate your oil ruining it. I check my oil for consistency before each time I run it. I use 5-40w Diesel oil synthetic from Mobil 1 as this is what works best for the car in my 3+ years.

And this has been my E85 experience with a stock long block sr20det. And after I get a few things ironed out (suspension, transmission), I am hoping to turn output up to 500 rwhp, as I stand I am less then 45 hp away from this.

Looking at Santos dyno, (I had a load based dyno vs inertia type) I believe there is room for me to get more power by advancing timing even more. Hmm.
Inabj2 is offline   Reply With Quote