Thread: KA24de Knock
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
KevinAndrew

Trader Rating: (0)
KevinAndrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by curo72 View Post
I'd be extremely hesitant to just replace a single rod and a crank. Extremely. Like you said, pison two has had issues before, and it sounds like the current setup has been less than reliable before. In order to replace the rod and crank you'll have to replace the bearings on the other ones. If chunks of bearing didn't get embedded into the other bearing surfaces, they'll at least need to be matched to the crank properly, being that OEMs make bearings of very slightly different sizes to make up for slight variences in the manufacturing process, and to allow for machining.

Also, small bits of bearing might have gotten carried up to the head. You'd be gambling a bit if you don't get the head cleaned, as that could score cams or make it's way back to the sump, and as a worst case scenario, it could make it's way back to the bearings again, which could result in yet another wrecked rod bearing and eventually rod knock.
That's a great point, I was really not wanting to just replace the crank and rod anyways due to the "oddness" of the block itself. My friend has a stock block I can buy but cyl 2 and 3 have about 2 inches of very slight surface rust at the top, which isn't good but I've heard it's not the worst thing if I just get it all polished up. I also plan on getting rid of that chip. All this will cause a pretty significant drop in power but i really don't care at this point aha. I just want to be able to drive my baby again. Also i can't risk my head getting messed up again because as I said I've put $1800 into it for it to get all cleaned up and machined and other good stuff.
KevinAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote