View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
KingKong8247
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
KingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to KingKong8247
How to use helicoil

OK well this was my first time using helicoil. I was a bit nervous but it turned out to be very easy.

My valve cover bolt was stripped, which Im sure has happened to a lot of you. I went to autozone and picked up a kit for the right thread pitch. M6 x 1.00.

-First off remove valve cover.
-I put a rag in there so none of the metal shavings will get into the oil.
-Next use a 1/4" drill bit and drill out the stripped hole. The tap will usually say on it or on the package somewhere what size drill bit to use. Very important to use the proper size.

-Then using some type of cutting oil (WD40 is fine) spray the hole and the tap and proceed to tap the hole.

The way I tap is start it slowly, use the first couple turns to make sure it is going in straight, slowly turn it a 1/2 turn, then back it out a full turn or more to clear out the metal shavings. Do that all the way through the hole.

-Next your set should come with a black rod with threads on the end. Install the helicoil on this. It will help install the helicoil into the thread.

Then slowly turn the helicoil into your newly tapped thread.

Keep turning it until it is about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn above the surface.

After that just use some sort of punch, small screwdriver, or tiny drill bit and punch out the piece that goes straight along the bottom.

And thats it, you are good to go