View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Trader Rating: (0)
sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
Question Where are YOUR priorities?

Some things I've read, and some conversations I've had recently have caused me to do a little re-evaluation of my personal goals. I thought I might share this with you guys, and get your input..

It's so easy to get caught up in the mentality that you are modding a car for the track. To "help" make you faster/better. What you eventually realize (or are slapped in the face with) is that modding the car, and Tracking the car are two totally seperate hobbies. They are related, but not.

Something I noticed with my latest round of mods is that I ended up somewhat unfullfilled after completing them. Sure the car is great, feels awesome, but does it help me at the track? The initial impression would be "Yes" to most. It would seem that wider tires & wheels, and bigger brakes would all make me faster at the track. And essentially they do increase the potential. The reality is, the answer is a resonding NO.. as a matter of fact, it's KEEPING ME OFF the track b/c I'm F*in BROKE from buying crap I don't even have the skills to utilize.

Recent epiphany: $4000 worth of Track time is > $4000 engine

Sure, I'd love to have the fastest, most powerful street driven 240 ever. It's loads of fun researching parts, buying them, and putting them on the car.. But I've discovered (old news to anyone who races) that Seat time in a Slow POS on an open track is loads more rewarding than spending money on a new suspension part.

I'm beginning to look at it from more of a philisophical POV.. I work hard to make my money.. Why not spend it on improving myself, not improving my things. I come away from a weekend at the track worn out, but feeling like a million bucks. I come away from replacing perfectly good componants on my car with other perfectly good componants simply "worn out"...

Maybe this is just a re-evaluation of my priorities, but maybe it's a realization of what my priorities where all along...

thoughts?