View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #351
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
soooooo small update: Scare...

I had a small scare... I was still having problems with my clutch. I bled it a few times and it would be ok at first but eventually it would start to get worse and worse. So I ordered a new Master cylinder from O'reillys. 78 bucks with lifetime warranty..can't beat that. Installed it and found that my old clutch master had a small crack in the plastic fitting that goes to the reservoir. Bled the new one and all the sudden my car had a perfectly solid Clutch pedal action. It was great. THEN I turned the battery on and turned the key.. the car cranked twice....then lights off... then I looked up confused and saw wafts of smoke. Hit the kill switch and jumped out of the car...opened the hood and saw smoke coming from the coil area right where i'd just installed the Clutch master cylinder. Pulled the coils out to inspect them.....and noticed a completely bare wire that should've had some type of shrink on it...it used to be white... and then I followed it...to find that I had accidently pinched the wire...not even fully but just by a hair... between the clutch master cylinder and the firewall of the car. It must've grounded out and it fried about 10 Inches of the wire all the way to the plug. The plug hooks up to the OEM igniter but with my AEM smart coils this hooks up for the direct fire configuration. I snipped the wire and removed it and re soldered in a nice piece of wire... heat shrank the two open splice spots and hooked everything up again...making sure not to pinch anything in the process. Checked my Harness fuses and the coil harness fuse didn't blow..so that's a good sign. Checked my Ignition harness and the 30 AMP fuse popped...as well as another 30 AMp in the main fuse box on the drivers side wheel well popped as well. Replaced them both and the car started up just fine. Was still a bit weary as the car could still start with a bad coil or two. So I took it for a nice little drive to the gas station and back. Drove fine...Logged my drive just to take a look to see if anything looked different...as far as Air/Fuel...(Rich where I previously wasn't) And I didn't notice anything different. I guess I should pull the plugs just to make sure that everything is firing but right now I think it's safe to say everything is just fine. I am overly happy for these fuses though.. a stupid simple and pretty common mistake could've cost me a whole lot more than 2 30 AMP fuses... could've fried the coils and been out 200 bucks. I'll do the manual plug check later today. But That was my scare.... so for people reading this. Just be diligent and take your time. I was in a rush because I was supposed to meet my girlfriend to watch the dodger game at a local bar... really....I could've just waited till after and I wouldn't have made the mistake because I would've been taking my time. But since I was rushed and trying to be all Fast pit crew status...I made a mistake and luckily it didn't bite my ass. But Just wanted to emphasis that we should all take our time on the simple tasks and stop rushing. Anyways...Moving on...
Heres the new Clutch Master Cylinder from Oreillys:

And I'm not sure where I should place my Power Steering cooler. I don't want it under the car because it seems a little too delicate for that...but I don't want it to be too bulky and look stupid sitting on top of the motor etc. Here are a few different options:

Wedged in the gap closer to the drivers side wheel well

I also finally finished my Second Catch Can line to vent the motor from both sides. Both are -6AN i'm using the OEM drain on the passenger side of the motor, and the Drivers side oil fill neck.

And I went and saw Between the Buried and Me this past sunday... love this band so much

Mannykiller is offline   Reply With Quote