View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #13
dan_the_drifter

Trader Rating: (0)
dan_the_drifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Coilover fitting

Right so thought I would also show a quick step by step of the coilovers fitting and compare them to my BC's as people sometimes rather prefer to read and see picture then watch a video, so here goes, front first.

Obviously jack up, remove wheel and axle stand under the chassis:

MaXpeedingRods coilover fitting by Daniel Collins, on Flickr

Please ignore the dirt, the last time I drove the car was at a very muddy/wet event and hadn't had chance to wash under the arches since!

I like to then pull the brake hose clip off, I used mole grips, you can use a screwdriver or whatever ya fancy!

Next up undo the bolts holding on the caliper, in my case I have alloy z32's but same goes for stock cast items.

Next up if it's been a while since you have undone these, wire brush and lube the threads:

Undo these and your coilover should be free from the knuckle. Note if you have abs still you should unbolt the wireing for that first before splitting the knuckle from coilover...

Onto the top mount, unbolt these 3.... and that's the front off.

Here they are next to each other, now these are very similar coilovers on the front, similar length springs and thickness of damper and top mount etc however the shock length and probably shock travel is definitely noticeably shorter compared to the BC's. Now I do run mine fairly high compared to most s body slammed is the shiz kids and also I run extended arms so this problem is multiplied, if I was still running stock lower arms the body would not need to be wound down quite so much for sure.

So I then washed down the arch, befiore:

After, that's better:

Re-fitting is reverse or removal however, wanted to show the camber adjustment at the knuckle end which I set to minimum and then adjusted at the top mount (pic to come of that but you all know what I mean):

Had to lightly 'adjust' the brake hose mount to fit the hose but this was a 30 second job, then re-fitted the clip:

Front all done, re-fitted wheel and checked it doesn't touch or rub. Then dropped it down and it roughly sits where my car used to so not far off height wise, sure it will settle and have to re-adjust before I align it though. I will come back on tomorrow and show the rear's.
dan_the_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote