View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #42
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiSilS14 View Post
I guess i could do up some pros and cons on Ka24de, since we're talking about it.

Pros:
-original equipped engine, so no dot/carb/epa/etc. fussiness
-iron block durability
-good low/midrange tq due to long stroke and displacement
-decent rod/stroke ratio even with larger displacement
-simple shim over bucket valvetrain
-240 KA blocks utilizes a one piece main cap girdle design and piston squirters
-Factory forged crank and rods
-Aftermarket support has gotten better in the last 10 years

Cons:
-original engine, so high mileage engines will probably need a refresh/rebuild in most cases
-iron block is heavy
-Distributor ignition
-Factory cams are bad in any application except maybe economy
-long stroke = reaches critical piston speeds quicker
-Half counterweighted crank
-Cast pistons, low hp capacity
-aftermarket support still isn't anywhere near sr20, evo, etc.
QTF gota say, this was well written, this kinda what I'm lookin for

its too easy because it comes in the 240
I want this but lets include other platforms, cars, etc... any car that you think is worthy RWD candidate... weight, style, parts, it all counts and if it isn't we will all point and laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
What about 4G63?

Pros:
Massive aftermarket support
Factory internals good for 400wtq
Legendary iron block durability
Great oil pump
hydraulic lifter head that's good for short bursts to 10,000rpm+
Mivec (Evo 9) for a broad power band
Bellhousing adapters available for a variety of transmissions

Cons:
No swap kit, so everything is custom fabricated
Cooling system needs to either be modified or coolant routed from back of head
Not a popular swap, so very little support for "swap problems"
Heavy
Reliability modifications necessary (Balance shaft delete)
This was well done , however it leaves me wanting to know much more.
What is 4g63 weight, we must compare it with sr20, and aluminum LS engine for sure. Also 3SGTE and similar 1.8L engines I am curious weight difference. Nothing quite like removing 100lbs from the nose of a RWD vehicle. There are not many FWD engines I would adapt to RWD but the 4G and similarly famous 1.8~range is applicable.
I am curious about the ignition, dwell, coils, typical gap, racer details. Oil control strats that work right out of the box, where do most people buy their 'built' 4g63, what piston alloy is typically selected, the list man we need the list

I'm curious about corolla-weight cars (2200-2800 ranges) using 1.6-2.2L engines RWD around 300-500hp... And slightly heavier options (2800-3400lbs) using slightly larger engines (2.5-3.5L) and of course an aluminum LS can go into anything easily so thats always a worthwhile comparison contrast unit.

The LS platform is sort of like a 'bare minimum' or how you say 'standard comparison' because there are so many statistics on them in all manner of weight range RWD platforms... so this is a chance to see how other platforms and engines stack up against them.

I'll come back eventually with some more SR vs LS in a 240 platform comparisons but I want to learn more about the other engines and cars... thank you those who contribute valuable experience there was more than just the above those were just highlights so far
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote