View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #28
Skylinechaos

Trader Rating: (2)
Skylinechaos is an unknown quantity at this point
So I guess Ill pick up where I left off in August of 2019.

I street drove the car 6 hours down to school with no issues except for my shoe melting to the floor board.

Then after a couple weeks of dailying it to class, I made the trip to St.Louis a couple hours to drive Import Face Off and did my 1st tandem competition where my 150hp KA went one more time with a crazy 2JZ Caged thing and eventually lost.

In my attempts to make it a better street car I decided to piece together and add A/C which was harder then expected due to all the wires being cut by the previous owner

Spend the rest of the fall doing other drive ability things, B&M shifter to replace the ebay one that kept falling apart and GKtech RUCAs cause the voodoo ones kept slicing my axles (psa: voodoo RUCAs dont place nice with drop knuckles).

My buddy made a recap of the summer and some driving if anyone cares to watch here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZP9cEQ1uj8&t=54s

After doing some streeting and putting some more miles on it I finally came to the realization that the NA KA just wasnt super exciting anymore and that it really didnt get my adrenaline going so around thanksgiving I decided it was time to inject the 30 year old motor with some boost and see if I could make the bearings do somersaults.

Brief rundown of the turbo kit:
-Tomei Cast Manifold
-S15 BB T28
-PBM Cobra Flex Downpipe
-Radium Fuel Rail
-Deatschwerks 550cc Injectors
-Megasquirt PNP2
-Fuel Lab FPR
-Walbro 255

The KA felt super healthy so I figured an 8psi simple set up would be enough to wake it up a little and maybe hopefully be reliable enough to keep chuggin for at least a year or so while I saved to maybe build another block on the side.

A pic of the T from the heater hose that feed the water lines if anyone is looking to do something similar, I just used a dirt bike water temp sensor adapter and barb fitting to attach it to the -6 line

So pluged everything in and started it on stock ecu to make sure everything mechanical was good and it was perfect but when I would switch to the megasquirt in would just crank and crank. After about a month of diagnosing intermittent cam angle sensor signals (Swaping multiple CAS and multiple Megasquirt trigger wheels) I was able to pin it down to a crusty ground that mustve been good enough for the stock ECU but just bad enough for the MS to go crazy. So I pulled the crusty old harness and placed my order for a new Wiring Specialties PRO Harness for my set up. (You can see in the log how inconsistent the spark signal was).

During the month and a half of waiting for the harness I decided to buy a welder and stitch weld the chassis before dressing the whole car with new noico ound detoning.

Being the idiot that I am I guess I didnt get all of the foam out of the quarter panel so one ended up catching on fire on literally my last weld and melted the fresh paint on the quarter panel

Past that I was able to get a fresh single cam carpet to replace the shitty aftermarket one and also got a new Nardi Blue Stitch Wheel to freshen up the interior.

Then Finally, the new wiring harness came in and just as expected the thing fired right up. Then went on my 1st drive boosting to about 8psi and it felt phenomenal. Megasquirt is also super user friendly and a buddy and I were able to dial in a good conservative street tune to have a little fun. Butt dyno at this point felt around 220-230hp which isnt the fastest thing in the world but wayyyyy better then the 130hp I was used to. The S15 Turbo also spool ridiculously fast but died off along with the stock S14 Cams around 6k pretty hard.

Then COVID happened and I went home for spring break and never went back to school so being still snowy and gross outside in Chicago I wanted to trailer the 240 back home but I had nothing to do it with so I sold my trusty daily driver Acura TL and Picked up a 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV and hauled everything back up.

Back up in Chicago I was able to spend some time working on little things to finish up the turbo set up and fixed some dash wiring as well, unfortunately I dont have a garage at home so progress was a little slow but I drove it everywhere when the weather allowed.

My ol trusty XTD Stage 3 clutch also started slipping after 3+ years 30+ miles and 10+ drift events so swapped it out with a competition clutch white bunny 6 puck. Also tried combating the power dying off up top with a set of Tomei 270 Poncams that I was able to score locally. I built an axle back section for the HKS us well just ho be a bit more obnoxious and also to get the tips to actually stick out the back of the bumper.

Cams picked up some top end but also sacrificed some low end torque which was expected. I can tell they definitely flowed more cause full throttle in 2nd and 3rd especially, would boost creep to 12psi ish. These things also loped super hard which had me worried about a boost leak or something.

https://youtu.be/lfrBUF7Giho

Did a boost leak test and found some huge ones, one of them being the pcv lines that go from the block to the intake manifold, again, being the idiot that I am I blocked off the nipples on the intake manifold and routed the block pcv to a catch can that vented to atmosphere. What I really did though is create a system that never let PCV out of the crankcase because that stock valve never saw vacuum and therefore never opened to let the vapors out. One week later she blew a hole on the piston skirt and blew the ringland and thats the end of that.

Pull of the hurt KA 20 Seconds before its demise:
https://youtu.be/ev5UCRv1bJI

Its Demise:
https://youtu.be/mLf9pkWUaFc

I got a good 3 months and 3k miles of it turbo and honestly with all the Covid stuff happening it was perfect timing as I wont be missing any events while I build the motor.

Ill make another update soon about the motor itself as its going back in next week but Im pretty excited that the block and crank were all fine and that I can build this particular motor as its been with me for almost 5 years now and 30k+ miles. She a trooper and wouldve gone farther if I wasnt an idiot but its coming back way stronger so that this time I can make some real pwer and blow the trans.
Skylinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote