View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
hexdmy

Trader Rating: (0)
hexdmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
max best torque

the best torque or power you can achieve with the minimum amount of timing in the tune. MBT can be achieved when you don't want to use more timing than you have to to hit your target output, the less the better.
I feel I need to add to this, while it's nice to be able to tune to MBT, many engines will reach their knock threshold before they get to MBT with pump fuel. This is why knock monitoring is so important. Also, if you carefully monitor knock and creep up on timing, you are generally not going to kill a street engine if it just begins to ping. In practice, on engines that reach their knock threshold before MBT, you cannot tune the engine safely unless you reach the knock threshold, otherwise you would not know the limit of the motor. With a set of knock headphones, it is possible to hear knock just as it begins, well before you would hear it with just your ears . Of course, the more power you make with a given engine, the higher the risk of damaging it with knock. I think of it like a blow torch, you can pass a blow torch over a piece of metal without affecting it one bit, if you hold it there you will start melting things.

- Chris
hexdmy is offline   Reply With Quote