View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #433
steve_o1989
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
steve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_russian_one View Post
i am trying to teach myself how to weld, so is it possible that i post a pic of some welds and you tell me what i do wrong or what i can do better?
here are the pics:

and the backside:

edit: oh yea it's 1.2mm stainless steel

2nd edit: thats mig welded
It's hard welding thin metal, especially if you have minimum control over your heat. Also, when you are welding such tin metal, it is best to use a series of tack welds because you don't want to put too much heat into the metal as is will warp. The weld technique looks good though. Beads look fairly consistent. I would say good for a beginner. And the uber penetration is because of running too hot aswell.

Go and get some thicker metal, probably about 1/8" would be good, and just practice running beads on it. When you start getting better, move on to butt welds, corner welds, tee welds, lap welds, edge welds just to get used to welding different joints. After that you can try the same welds in different positions (vertical, horizontal, overhead if you want)

Looks like you're off the a good start though. Keep at it.

Steve
1992 Talon Tsi - Sold
steve_o1989 is offline   Reply With Quote