View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
aaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enough
Russell’s STI debut... kinda....

http://www.fabricatedmotorsports.com...kinda.....html

-----------

Ok STI time! I think a lot of people have been excited waiting for this car to get finished, if only because it isn’t another 240SX. It has been about a year in the making, but it is turning out really nicely. The car was basically done in this test, but it wasn’t running. Everything was there except fluids. So we won’t have a dyno sheet for this, but everything else was done. First of all there was a lot of attention to detail that went into this car, and a ton of work from numerous people. Russell obviously did a mountain of work on this thing, but it is a show case of awesome fab work from people like Derrick Rogers with the awesome cage, and Collin from Toxic Fab with the sweet catch cans and stuff. I even heard Collin might build a titanium turbo manifold for it!

So what actually makes this car what it is, and why is it going to drift? Well first it uses a 2.5 liter STI motor mated to an STI 6 speed tranny. That moves back through a driveshaft where it meets a new face, an R200. The R180s in these cars are way too weak for anything close to RWD clutch kicking, so it was tossed and an R200 went on in. The motor, while stock internals, was treated to a GT35R sized turbo, all the trimmings, and a really sweet catch can setup. The suspension has a some sweet remote reservoir Stance coilovers, the wheels are his old Advans, the paint is pretty, and the cage is all rally car looking. Oh, and he put front wheel tubs in it to confuse the drag racers. The one concern with the drivetrain is his crazy gearing with the stock 6 speed and 4.3 rear end gear. This thing is going to be like Kumakubo without a sequential tranny!

So what did it dyno? It didn’t. It wasn’t running yet. Russell is planning to run just over 400 whp I believe since the motor is stock at this point.

The STI weighed much less than I thought it would, at 2597 lbs, but that was dry. Add about 100 lbs for fluids bringing it in at right about 2700 even, or about Texas LS1 S13 weight. Should be aweome to drive on good rubber! Front weight distribution was the most front heavy out of all the cars there, at 59 % front. Adding weight for fuel I figure the car will come down to right in the 57 point something range, probably still leaving it just barely in the lead.

Steering angle? 43.7 degrees, tying it for the least amount of angle. The knuckles are cut and shortened, but this started out as a AWD car and had front axle shafts, so they aren’t designed for big steering angle stock. 43.7 by the way is stock S chassis steering angle. Russell says he is going to go get more aggressive with this after seeing the numbers, so it will be interesting to see how much he gains.

All in all I’m excited to see the car run. Russell was getting really good at the end of last season, and very aggressive in his S13. Will he retain that aggression with a fancy new car? I hope so! He has the help of some sweet companies like Stance USA, Falken, and Boost Logic so hopefully he feels pressure to drive like a madman to keep them happy! It will also be interesting to see how well Subaru suspensions create grip and accelerate this around.

Last edited by aaronlosey; 01-04-2011 at 07:34 PM..
aaronlosey is offline   Reply With Quote