View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #35
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Cloud_Strife is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Yeah I am seriously considering it now. Since Ive been there 2x in the cold I wanna see how its like when its "warm" to make a solid decision.

I found out that my job title pays at least $2 more hourly up there. My Fiancee just needs to file transfer paperwork since she works for a major hospital that has locations everywhere.

I estimated the value to relocate from socal to the PNW and it would cost roughly $5k including shipping cars. Hopefully I over guessed that amount.
It's funny you just updated the thread. I wish more Portland people would reply, but maybe they're too cool

I've been back in Florida for a few months and hate it. Really trying to consider my options and plans. I had it so good out there. I moved because I was having issues with school and couldn't make many friends my age.

A lot of people seem to be considering it as well from the replies. It all comes down to what YOU want. I've been to most states in the U.S. including Hawaii and I'm pretty certain at this point where I want to be. It seems like alota dudes are just stuck in Cali and wanting a way out. Just see some similarities as my eyes didn't really open up until I joined the millitary and got to see what else the world offers. I'd recommend some of you dudes just go for it and don't look back. We're all gonna be old as sh** having our grand-kids throw away our initial D posters because it's inconceivable that Chinese origin, poorly drawn 90's anime with italian eurobeat poor english techno could be considered cool.

To the OP, it's good if your fiance moves out with you. When two incomes can pay for housing up there it is ABSOLUTELY doable, especially for a 1bed. For single people it just sucks to rent.

I would say take a summer out there, because like I said it can get pretty hot. But again, it's a different type of hot. Humid hot summers in the south are ten times worse with the wet humidity. You can usually plan on 23 showers a day.

Also, I never realized how many decent roads there are in northern and all over OR. Also, southern WA has some really crazy routes as well. You should look up NHA (Northwestern Hillclimb Association), they are a group that goes over the PNW with stages normally closed to the public. Some of the roads look DEE-CENT.

I saw some people that were thinking of WA as well. WA has a lot more to offer and do, but the Seattle area does not have many fun roads. You have to travel quite a bit to get to any decent ones, and the best are on the east side of the state. There's one called chunak or chinak some sh** like that-scenic drive. Also, the road leading up to the ski resort on Mt. Baker has some crazy twists but no safety barriers and the elements make it dangerous.

Someone had said the scene isn't much out there, but It actually isn't bad, you just have to put in work and network old school. Also, I was wrong about the condition of cars. You can find a lot of clean unfu**** cars out there if you are patient. I guess when I was looking the market was just crap. Cars over here in the southeast are always hacked up dori boxes beat to sh**. 3-4k will get you a maybe DDable car with mechanical and int/ext issues, where as you can find clean, nicely working cars for the same pricepoint.

All in all though, I wouldn't try to get in the mindset that moving to a new location will solve all your personal probelms--something I've had to look at myself. But if you like it there, go for it; YOLO as the kids say.

*Also, I think there are weekly import meets in downtown every Sunday night if it's still going on. Gets pretty big turnouts.
Cloud_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote