View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #1186
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
i was thinking about this whole thing this morning and it really hit me that college is a method of control, forcing you to learn to live in debt... hear me out on this one as it does make sense.

the western world is mainly run by debt. its how lenders make money. you need to take out a loan to buy a car, you need to take out a loan to buy a house, you need to take out a loan to start a business, you need to pay off medical debt etc etc. point is, our entire society runs on debt for the majority. now, youre told all thru your elementary, junior high and high school career that you have to go to college to get a good job once you graduate so you can spend the rest of your life in a career given banks own our society. so that conditioning sets you up for thinking that this debt you are about to take on once you are 18/19 is perfectly ok. what you are never told is that it will cripple the majority who take it on as well as condition you into being ok with having constant debt hanging over your head. so you head into this huge sum of debt thinking the path is paved for you and its perfect acceptable to have this $30k-$60k hanging over your head for the education you just received, that youll be handed your degree (like you were in HS) and the world will be a bright shiny place filled with opportunity to start earning money and paying off that weight on your shoulders... only most people come to find out they wound up wasting their time in their degree and no one will hire them.

point is, college debt and college in general seems like a conditioning brought about by the education system to introduce debt without actually explaining the dangers behind it and how it can easily ruin your life the instant you take it on. its one thing to buy a house, thats an investment given you build equity in paying it off as well as property values going up over time. its an entirely different thing to take on a mountain of debt for something that really doesnt pay you back for the money invested (the irony of this statement is owning a 240sx lol). the more i think about it, the more i liken college to a ponzi scheme.

I don't think it's so much conditioning people to live in debt as it is just plain old greed and corruption. I heard the Dean of the college I went to was getting paid $400k to basically drive around and play golf. The shitty part is all of the increases in college tuition are automatically backed by government subsidized and unsubsidized loans from the banks.

College raises fees, student pulls out loan, government tax dollars are used to pay deferred interest to private lender until student graduates, student gets so-so job and pays loan and interest to private lender for 10 years. The only winners here are the colleges and the banks they work with.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote