View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #75
ka24debt
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
ka24debt is an unknown quantity at this point
unfortunately with time being a factor and hurricane irene on its way, getting this car up and running was a big priority. apparently nyc was going to get hit really bad and at negrosx13's house, he has this sketchy ass garage that looks like it leans over more and more each day. that plus all the shit we had laying around wasnt a good look. piece by piece the ka was down to the bare acessories(still got a ka starter and injectors if anyone needs)

-first problem was the neutral safety switch needed to be rewired because it was getting crappy connection
-vacuum leaks
-throwing out mounds and mounds of black smoke(eventually went away and im gonna assume from sitting for over a year with no turning over that would happen)
-breaking up like holy hell once we got it running
-needed to be retimed and waiting for 240sxmotoring to send me a valve cover gasket before this hurricane got here.
-the civic battery i thought was going to fit under the hood wound up not fitting. -_- i was on my last 40 bucks and i had no money for a relocation kit

-the harness was originally wired for a single cam maf and it was acting up.
-the breaking up was was caused by the shitty thermostat that was stuck open. i would go drive the car and the second it got into boost the car would get ice cold and start bogging. new thermostat and got that fixed.

hurricane irene was coming saturday so thurs night the vac leaks got sorted out. the valve cover gasket is on, the shitty ebay bov i got free for free worked after some adjustment and we re timed the motor from scratch with the timing light so all i needed to do was pick up the mess in the yard and drive my car 15 mins back to my place. seems like a simple task.

friday was my first day of school. yeah i wanted to get the car before school started but shit happens and life doesnt always go according to plan. i took the bus to school only to find out my class was canceled. so fucking pissed but whatever, more time to pack up all my shit and bring my car home.

all is good till right before im about to hit the highway. the cars running excellent and i hit a slight bump.. the car starts to bog and shuts off.

OK... wtf now.. not cool. tried to crank but nothing. i smell smoke in the interior and already start freaking out. im sick of shit catching on fire lol. first thing i do is run to the hood but i see no smoke. i look all around to find my problem staring at me right in front of my face. the obxnoxious single cam maf wire that i said i was going to re-wire once i got the car fully done fell from its original location of where it was tucked away.. wound up falling right on top of the exhaust manifold and burning the wires together. i put 2 and 2 together and realize the smell of smoke from the interior was from the ecu burning out.

stuck on the side of the road before the highway thinking of what to do, i pop the box open to see exactly what was burnt. one of the long strips on the computer are completely burnt. i started unraveling the maf wire to trace exact where the power and ground both touched. i wound up cutting old tape from the harness and re using to seperate the two. tried to start it up again only to see the burnt strip just burn off some more. with the hurricane already on its way, my car in the ghetto where it should be parked inside the garage at my house, i called my friend damien to see when he gets out of work to see if he can help push my car home. of course a natrual reaction is for someone to ask what happen. if you met this kid first hand you would think hes the weirdest kid ever and says some of the weirdest shit ever. his routine weird response wound up being to my benefit. he goes "ohhh shiiiiitttt.. you know what time it is?" "its paper clip time!! it happened to me imma send a pic of what to do" and then he hangs up. waiting 30 mins for him to send me a damn picture text i get it finally and its a pic of the exact burnt strip i have and he jumped the burnt strip with the paper clip to join the circuit. he told me the put the key into 2, put the paper clip like so and start the car.. 2 cranks later, the car started O_o??

by this time its rush hour, everyones trying to get home and ditch this storm and in stand still traffic the car hesitates and shuts off. after i jumped the ecu the car still ran like shit and was bogging and did not sound happy. 4 cranks later and cleared up traffic, the car starts and got it home.

negro came shortly after to see that i got home good and check the ecu. with the ecu the car ran a bit better but seem not to be firing completely right. troubleshooting declared that i wound up roasting injectors number 2 and 3 and they needed to be changed. running out of time and crappy weather coming i put the car away.

the hurricane was bad but not AS bad as people made it seem.. and i was bored and impatient, so i went into the garage and started changing the injectors.

i started the car up and it sounded alot better than the day before but it was still somewhat choppy. negro came over the next and i borrowed his ecu and the car was crisp. being broke, i got some nice wire and soldered the two connections. started the car up but it just wasnt the same.. ofcourse it was better then before but the damage was done and the computer was shot. last resort i asked my mom and ofcourse i had to hear the bitching of blahblah "if u didnt go drifting then youd still have a running car and your problem becomes everybody elses problem." clearly she didnt understand that my motor was beat and dead anyway if it died so quickly at the track.. atleast my dad understood that and lent me the cash as long as i got it back to him by the end of the week.

no local ecu's anywhere so i went to jdm engine world in queens and they were cool enough to part one of the ecus from the front clips. i never went to a place like this before and i felt like i was in jdm wonderland.. just fantasizing about all these engine and wondering what the cars looked like that they came out of.. im sure im not the only person that does that! shit like that just fasinates me.. and so i took some pics.

meh.. eventually an s14 for me

smh, it was a kouki 180sx with a silvia front end but hey atleast i got my ecu i needed. i wound up getting a heat shield and stock shift knob for another 10 bucks!

ran back to staten island and paid the normal $3857304897548975 toll, pluged the ecu in, retimed the motor again and all was good! finally a running swap. i did the battery relocation kit and trimmed the bumper for the fmic.

LOL jk.

initial cut.. i wound up trimming more to get rid of more sag then whats shown in the pic

i wound up getting from my friend damien the wiring specialities harness. pretty sick imo. i paid only 200 bucks because he was transfering his swap over into his s14 now which he actually just finished vv

anyways like i said this harness is cool. super clean and has the option for the sohc or dohc dash plug so if u ever swap chassis u can still use and it came with different maf options so lets say i wanna run a n60 maf it comes with a connector for that or z32.. yadayada enough with the bs and more pichas!

cleaned the car up finally, soaked up all the water that had been collecting in my car from all the august rain, got rid of the smoke smell and all the dirty nasty hand prints and fire extinguisher crap. prob my fav pic of the car at this stage.
ka24debt is offline   Reply With Quote