View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #59
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
MyblackS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Small update to the build. I've been neglecting this thread for a while. Since the last post I've made a couple little changes on the car.

First, I made a back seat delete panel.

Started with a cardboard template, trimmed and fit until I was satisfied to move onto the material of choice. I used .080 Kydex plastic (like gun holsters) because it's light weight, textured to blend well with the other interior plastic, and pretty easy to form with a heat gun. I used my cardboard template to trace and layout approximate bend locations onto the Kydex.

I to get the bend at the bottom i bar clamped the plastic to a piece of plywood and use it kind of like a brake while heating the plastic. Mounting it I used some finished fender washers off ebay and made some aluminum blind mounting tabs for the back side to hook the flange of the seat pass through.

The next change was mounting a Cobra Imola Pro Fit racing seat. A big plus on the Imola is that I got to sit in one at the PRI show, see the quality up close, and make sure the seat would fit me right before buying one. The stock seats aren't very supportive and the race seat was a nice chainge.

I chose Bride FG rails to mount the seat, as far as I know the lowest sliders available. The downside is that the Cobra seats are flat bottomed (unlike some Recaro's and Bride's), so the seat rails still sat too high for my liking. So I made them lower yet.

Here's where they started, with the seats in the lowest hole on the brackets they were still about 2" over the stock seat height. So I made some spacers to hold their position without the seat then made a jig to keep the two seat rails in relation to each other so I could make new, shorter legs for them and not have them come out crooked.

I cut off the old legs, made shorter new ones, and dropped the seat rails about 5/8" - 3/4" (as low as they can possibly go and function at all)

I also changed the lower padding out on the seat for the Cobra Pro-Split, it's the lowest pad they offer and it drops you down about another inch. After both tweaks it put be back where I wanted to be.

For now I still have the stock passenger seat, at some point I would like to replace it with something a little more supportive, but I'm thinking still reclining.