Thread: Red RB25 S13
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #66
Ka24Power
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Ka24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud of
Anyone here into tuning? I'm gonna nerd out a bit in this post. I've wanted to learn for a long time now, I've read a decent amount and have a sliver of an idea of what I'm doing.

So,

This weekend I spent a bunch of time "tuning" the car and HOLY SHIT does it drive great.

Saturday afternoon I calibrated the MAF curve up to 4k free revving in the driveway (sorry neighbors, haha). I could see how much the tuner had to add in each voltage plot to get it reading on the fuel table, I should have taken a screenshot. The maf signal is also butter smooth now. Huge win!
Some HEAVY rain came out of nowhere and stopped me for a little. Vented hood and rain don't mix, FYI. I'm using a contractor garbage bag folded up to keep the coil packs dry and it feels so ..trashy

Sunday morning my friend came over and we drove to another friend's to watch the British Grand Prix - what an unreal race, lots of action!
I had him drive there while I logged from the passenger seat and tuned. Had it roughly sorted in 20-30 mins of driving, did the same on the way back and it was running great. No knock, safe AFR's and no surging like before. If only I had known that a $24 honeycomb cell would have saved me so much headache... Lesson learned! If I ever build a MAF setup again

I didn't end up with the Haltech I had lined up. The PFC was now doing EXACTLY what I wanted and expected when I booked a tune, so I decided to stick with it.

Instead I spent the afternoon driving, watching the map and tuning more! A long highway drive is basically perfect to adjust the light load and do some higher load pulls. We tuned as high as 6k@16psi and FUCK does this thing MOVE!

I had to stop there, any more boost and the AFR's get a little lean. I didn't touch the ignition table at all, need to learn more first.
When I had the car tuned initially it seemed like I was running out of fuel pump but we weren't sure if it was the shit signal from the maf throwing things off. I wish I had a fuel pressure gauge in the car but I think this is most likely, I kept adding to the fuel table in the load cells I'm hitting and injector duty goes up but AFR does not go down. On the injector duty topic - anyone have Datalogit experience? For some reason I can't log duty %. I can watch it on the hand controller but none of the watches or chart watches display correctly. 'basic injduty' always reads 0, there is no 'Advanced injduty' only 'Advanced duty' and that one always displays 95. Annoying to not be able to log it, memory is only so good and doesn't plot on a load map, lol.

Anyway, fuel pump seems to make sense. I only have a walbro 255 in the tank, they max out around 400hp and I made ~350 at 1bar the first go at it.
A Bosch 044 should be the answer. The new question: Leave the 255 in tank as a lift pump and put the 044 inline, or, ditch the 255 and mount the 044 in tank?? I'm not building a swirl pot, that seems overkill for 400hp.

The internet says the Jay's racing 044 sock has issues collapsing on itself, want to make sure that isn't an issue with any other ones if I mount in tank.

Either way, an 044 is going in the car, somewhere.

Stay tuned to see where on the next episode of "Andrew tries to make 400hp"
Ka24Power is offline   Reply With Quote