Thread: E85 thread
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #93
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
While the engine is in use, E85 doesn't necessarily cause any additional engine wear. It's merely the lack of additives that can be put in E85 to lubricate the combustion chamber. If gasoline didn't have its additives, you would get the same kind of engine wear. The piston rings and walls should be fine during operation.

However, the problem could come from between engine uses. Once the engine is shut off, some E85 may still be sitting in the valves. If the engine is sitting for a good period of time, you can expect the surface of iron sleeves, iron rings, or spark plugs to be prone to rusting. The best way to avoid this would be to "purge" the combustion chamber by cranking the starter, while the ECU is kept off so as not to continue injecting more fuel.

Neither of my engines have been rebuilt or have forged internals. After 5000 miles of use in the last six months, the engine performance and compression tests have been exceptional. The only thing I have had to replace in the last year were my spark plugs. Ever since I wired a switch directly to the starter to "purge" the engine, the spark plugs haven't been rusting.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote