Thread: My SR20VET...
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #626
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I think if you were to approach a few of the manifold manufacturers about this they?d be willing to donate a few. Now I?m not talking high priced top mount, T/S manifolds here, but ISR cheap ass bottom mount manifolds. You?ll still have to throw your money in the pot for the costs of coating, but it could be done. I think 3-4 coating types would be all you really needed.

At any rate, I called Cerakote and they advised against coating the Swaintech piece with their product. They stated due to the different materials that make up each product, the rate of expansion will differ. This ultimately could end up cracking the ?top coat? in time. He then proceeded to recommend stripping the Swaintech and recoating with Cerakote. I couldn?t bring myself to tell him ?Swaintech? was a better product (atleast in my eyes). I then asked him if they had a ?sprayable? thermal paint that could be applied and he told me he couldn?t recommend one out of their catalog.

I did call the local Cerakote applicators and they told me to send a piece in for testing. So I may go that route and see what the results yield as far as bonding to the Swaintech coating. Long term tests would have to be done with a torch as I do not have an oven that can reach the temperatures of even a stock SR EGT.
True! An ISR manifold would make a lot cheaper setup, but about as bottom of the barrel as I'd go, since you don't want them cracking halfway through the test

If you're just looking to protect the swaintech or change the color, you can use the VHT exhaust paint, It topcoats the swaintech very well. It's also lasted on most anything I've used it on as long as it's cured properly.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote