View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
JoelC

Trader Rating: (0)
JoelC is making a name for him/her selfJoelC is making a name for him/her self
Okay, where to start.

So as I’ve mentioned it’s been well over 5 years since my original post so I’m going to do my best filling in the blanks of my s14 and all the other cars I’ve had. I jumped into a pool with my old phone so I’m going to put up what I have.

Let just jump right where I left off.

I actually came across an extremely clean red 1989 Hatchback that had been sitting with a blown transmission in the bushes of some old lady’s house. It had been sitting for well over 5 years. I managed to scoop it up for $240 dollars if you can believe that.

I don’t have many pictures of this thing when I owned it. I sold it to a buddy and the picture is of how it sits. College will really run you dry, wish I didn’t have to sell this gem.

At this point I wanted nothing more than to paint this car, unfortunately my budget didn’t allow. Big time ooof for me looking back. Since the quarter panel had some damage and I wanted to fulfill my HotBoi fantasies of yesteryear, I decided on overfenders. I’m cringing a bit writing this as I now realize I could’ve done some bodywork and would very easily have fixed the stock metal. Harbor Freight makes it very easy for a teenager to get their hands on an angle grinder.

No sense crying over spilled milk I suppose.

Nevertheless, the car was one color. There was just one problem, I primed the car for paint but never decided to actually paint it because of cost. I still managed to afford Kouki tails however which really makes me question where my priorities sat.

Wonderful, atleast it was one color unlike a lot of 240s in the seattle area. I purchased some XXRs like the ricer I was and actually managed to get the car looking half decent. It was a far cry from where I started for sure.

I went ahead and balled out on a Nardi Steering wheel and quick release. Very much the most expensive component of my car at the time which I find absolutely hilarious. What a dork I was.

It was at this point I decided to go drifting. Now this really was fun as I figured out that the factory vlsd is not fantastic for drifting, especially once the diff heats up. Undeterred I went to weld the differential.

An interesting tidbit if you care; If you’ve got an abs diff with a vlsd (which I assume is all of them). Then you can utilize the 3rd member out of an open differential if you wish to have a welded instead. This being said, you need to swap the unit and the side shim stuff from diff to diff. This resulted in me having an ABS diff with a welded 3rd member. Kinda interesting I guess.

Anywho, I started to make more money and was working as a “Lube Technician” so I was able to get a lot more experience turning wrenches than I did before. I also had access to an alignment rack which helped me tremendously.

Not much changed for a bit, there’s something to be said about drifting a stock KA that you can flog forever without repercussion. I very much miss these days. If you’re learning to drift, I highly recommend you learn in a low power, stock angle car. Your technique will be much better than somebody who jumped into it driving big power big angle.

However I did get the Villains angle kit which made me decide I had to ditch the oem metal fenders and move onto the fiberglass wide ones. What a mistake that was in retrospect.

It was roughly 2017 at this point.