View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #34
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Sure, you CAN do that. It's not the easiest option. You have to drive the car to a fab shop with no o2 housing/downpipe, or tow it with a truck/trailer. Just a lot more of a pain than a bolt-on option. Funny how the oem 5-bolt flange and exhaust seems to never have issues, only when people put aftermarket exhaust on with no flex pipe...

Also there's the risk of welding the v-band flanges and they warp and don't completely seal and leak exhaust. Which you won't know until it's installed then you're back to re-fabricating it again with another set of new flanges.

1) 5 20 min sessions in 100 degree heat WILL back out the 5 bolt turbine outlet bolts. They just simply do not have the thermal capacity to expand and contract and not loose clamping force after numerous heat cycles. Simple. Every single one of my exhausts have both a flex pipe and the tranny mount. That is not the issue. The not having flex pipe is manifested in pulling bottom mount turbos off the manifold, NOT the downpipe off the turbine housing.

2) If your welder is unable to weld a vband, then you have an idiotic welder. Buy a stepped v band. Clamp both v bands halves together. Weld. Zero concerns of warping as flanges will expand/contract at in the same axis and is constrained by the other vband flange.

Meh. I just think less things to clamp together (5 bolts with nuts and all sorts of headaches vs a single v band clamp). Simplicity is lost when you are fumbling around in the engine bay for 2-3 times the amount of time it would take to attach a single v band downpipe . That and I do not have to spend $2-$300 on Inconel hardware and fancy lock nuts and tabs.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote