View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #6394
n2o_matt

Trader Rating: (0)
n2o_matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 of S-Empire View Post
So is the GK Tech knuckle loosing steering axis offset? Maybe to allow road racers to gain more (-) camber through more castor with out the disadvantage of increased steering effort...

no that looks the same as stock. 5/16 offset forward like a bicycle, not backward like a shopping cart. (if my memory correct)
Does seem to be about stock now that I look at some more pictures. It appears the offset of the lower ball joint looks to be to the rear while the upper mount is to the front - or maybe this is an optical illusion. This would make the angle in the knuckle itself leaning top forward a bit, but I don't think the angle matters since the knuckle will pivot to the castor angle its set at. What would matter is if the line connecting the lower ball joint to the top hat passes in front of, behind, or through the wheel center or to give the steering axis ofset right? This is all very hard to visualize (for me anyway) off the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I'm not well versed in all this but, I don't see how anything changes (other than camber) when slotting the lower coilover mount, because the upper top hat has a pillowball, and isn't going to stay perfectly perpendicular to the coilover as shown in that picture. It's just going to pivot at the tophat pillowball no?
It will pivot, but what is important for SAI, caster, trail, etc is the axis through the top hat and lower ball joint not necessarily the angle of the coilover makes with the chassis. However, that "slider axis" stuff kewilso3 is quoting is a new (to me) dynamic where the struct orientation does matter.

Croustibat - what are your alignment settings? I have the same kit (he's local to me here in knoxville) but mine is not feeling right. Is your steering smooth lock to lock while sitting still with the engine running? Ever have any issues with returning to center? I also noticed the high sway bar endlink, mine is maxed out as short as possible and its still higher than stock. I would guess this may cause some stiction in bump do to the sway bar being out of its normal operating range??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewilso3 View Post
"Number two, I would not of experimented with my low SAI setup (12-14 deg's), as all that did was lower my roll center, and remove all camber gain, and in fact add positive camber gain during the second inch of suspension travel. In my ignorance, I neglected the fact that the Strut tube defines the slider axis, which defines the roll center & the camber curb of the mc strut suspension."
Shouldn't having less SAI raise the RC? Or maybe that's the effect of the strut axis? I've always thought of them as being co-linear, but I guess they don't have to be.

n2o_matt is offline   Reply With Quote