View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I run one of these: https://gaugeart.com/product/gaugeart-can-gauge/

I wanted to keep stock dash but I like having all the sensor readouts.
oh nice! I feel the same about the stock dash and went a similar route;

https://perfecttuning.net/en/22-gauge

They've got an OBD2 version and CANbus as well. I'm running their CANbus variant with my Megasquirt 2 but it's nice to know there are others out there. That gaugeart one looks very subtle, I like it! I'll be tracking my car and wanted the benefit of the LEDs and maybe adding a speaker for custom alarms I've programmed for oil pressure and oil temperature. The LEDs on the perfecttuning gauge get VERY bright when not dimmed.

OP;
I'm happy with my MS2 based ECU and I know diyautotune makes a plug-and-play variant for the SR20s as well as the KAs. I honestly wish I would have just bought an MS3 kit and wired it in though. Boost by gear and some of the other functionality would be nice, as the limitations of MS2 are starting to show in its age. It's a great ecu for the pricepoint and I have a lot of safety features like IAT based timing retard and CLT based rev-limit (chevy is touting this on the C7/C8 Corvettes like it's bleeding edge tech.) among others. Buddy is running an MS3 pnp setup on his Miata and I'm jealous of all of the extra functionality he has over me. To add to second-hand experience, friend running a Haltech on his CA18 S14 likes it a lot. Another friend running my legacy AEM EMS on his KA-T setup is switching to Megasquirt. He's been having issues with his ECU (we think) and AEM offers ZERO support for it. Something else to think about long-term.

Lots of good choices for your power goals. I'd think about other functionality too like FLEX-fuel/blending maps (If you ever think you're going to do this down the road,) some of the ECUs really set themselves apart here, moreseo the Haltech than the Megasquirt.

I guess the TL;DR of my post is, count my vote as a -1 to MS. *edit* apparently the SR requires the optical trigger wheel swap. Doesn't on the KA, apologies.*/edit*. Also count me for a -1 on AEM for their legacy support, depending on how long you're going to have the car. +1 vote for Haltech based on second-hand testimony from the shop I worked with on my final tune and and friend's experience on his CA18.

Last edited by NukeKS14; 06-07-2020 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: fact-checked myself.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote