View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #38
Chopaholic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Chopaholic is an unknown quantity at this point
It has been a busy week for me, I set about making some form of gearbox mount to hold the rather large BMW gearbox up, I was a little worried about making it off centre so I done lots of measuring to make sure it was going to work. I ain't no perfect welder but with some 40mm wide 3mm thick box section it is hard to go wrong.

Started out by cutting some 3mm plate to match the gearbox face, with a shit angle grinder and not amazing cutting discs this was quite the challenge, was waiting for a snapped blade to smash me in the face.

Mocked up some box section to get the heights roughly right, if anyone has seen below an Sbody, one side sits 40mm higher than the other.

I forgot to take many pictures in between, but I eventually got to the stage of having it sitting right with some OEM BMW 1 series gearbox bushes, I threw some cheap black paint on it all.

Checked the angle, 89.40 degrees, very happy with that.

Got back to the bathroom to wash myself and being lost in working on the car all day hadn't even noticed I had burnt all my arm with the welder by wearing a t-shirt.

Added some length to the gear linkage and installed it, which meant I could actually feel what the shifter was like.

Done a test fit of the radiator, it looks fantastic but unfortunately it doesn't work with the setup as I want to keep the viscous fan, unsure what to do now, cut the slam panel and buy an SR20 radiator, or try and customise some form of swirl pot and change the angle the radiator points at.

In my last post we talked about an issue with the brake booster being mega close to the wastegate, lots of people told me about moving the wastegate and different ideas, unfortunately with the twin scroll setup it isn't quite that easy so I went for a different solution, the GKTech brake booster delete kit, also got a clutch cylinder adaptor kit too for goods measure. Great service from GKTech, ordered 6 days ago from OZ, delivered yesterday. The pictures show the bottle on the kit, but I will be using the remote reservoir option to mount the reservoir a little further into the corner.

And lastly, a few pictures of the car sitting in the garage looking pretty damn cool from a few feet away.

Off for a few weeks working so more when I come back.
Chopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote