View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Teigen is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry for late Update, was only updating my build thread in the Premium members section. Copying and pasting what I have wrote there:

11-23-2012, 05:56 PM

So, there have actually been some nice updates to the car, I will throw up some images and write a text to each of them, Enjoy!

The engine bay is these days totally clean and most paint is matted or removed, by hand of course for the best result! It's not awesome work but one gets used to it, and a baby like this needs some love

Removed everything, including that I drilled out the bonnet/hood locking device to, as I have sanded that and it will get a slightly different color than the rest, but thats just a minor detail!
80% of the holes in the engine bay will be welded and then grinded down to the invisible! I don't want anymore holes in my chassis than I have to! Also in the "Do, or should not" weld the seems of the front towers and such, most likey end ut with doing it to get more stiffness to the chassis.

Original battery placement was the only rusty place on the whole car, believe it or not! Of course the battery will be place rear, on the opposite side of the driver to obtain weight balance as I guess I will most likely drive alone with no passengers, at least when doing timeattack etc.
The fusebox is also removed, along with absolutely all wires, and every wire in the engine bay will be remade to look as nice as possible and clean! Fusebox will be placed in the rear, + I will try to make a custom fusebox, as half of the fuses and wires is removed as I no longer need them, most likely end up with some aluminium stuff

the 2 pieces of metal which I cut away, on both sides in the front of the bay was too ugly, and I want things to look clean and therefore I am making new plates to weld in there. Also will make some custom piping to the intercooler.

Regarding the interior, most is removed as of cleaning up wires etc, and the mid-console is going to be the place with the switches! The car is meant to be a sleeper, and after hours of thinking I got this idea of making the switches in the "box" in the back of the mid-console.

Anyway, had to make the switches fit in there, and room for wires and such, so therefore I made a plate inside the box/room thing.

Painted the plate in the special Wrinkle Paint, used om lambhorginis and stuff, this is the same paint as I use on my rocker cover on both my engines, as well as the turbohousing and plenum. This will be invisible when the box is closed, but once I open it, voila! a ton of switches, for things like Antilag, Launchcontrol, Fans, waterpump etc etc

Another thing that is solved is the Oil system. As you mught know the BTCC engines had dry sump, but this system requires some space and I the engine would not fit with that on. Therefore I built wetsump, and had Moroso make me an Oil pan after my measurements, could have used a Greddy one, but those just ain't good enough. Also, I have mounted an Accusump! I am not going to explain how it works, but it keeps oils pressure on top even if the pump would fail in heavy corners. you can google it and you will Understand. Image coming!

Now, over to the sexy part!

Finally had them Internal Throttlebodies, aka ITBs mounted yesterday. These are ported 4 x 46mm throttlebudies, one for each cylinder. This will increase throttle response and such, but mostly this is helpful when having natural aspiration.

Cheers, Will write more soon. If you have any questions, or would like more photos, feel free to ask!

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Yesterday, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
How exactly did you come across that head?

been looking for decades, until I found it by visiting a Nissan Guru for buying a few parts and by coincidence saw he had one.

UPDATE:

For the last months it's been going slow, but I have finally placed a milestone in my little project.

after removing everything from the enginebay, yes, everything except the windshield wiper engine, I was not able to remove it

When things were strapped I encouraged to start cutting into my dear Silvia, at first removing the metal underneath where the batteryhousing was, as seen on the pictures in the earlier post.
STarted welding things done, spotwelded some parts, filled most smaller holes, replaced some metal, seem welded towers and grinded down
When that was done, maybe the worst part came, sanding everything down, then laying the filler, sanding down, adding filler, sanding down... hehe yes, taking shitloads of time. I would say that when I felt done, I was happy, because it is not something I would like to repeat!

Hung up some tarpaulins around the car and washed the enginebay with thinner a couple of times, waited for it to dry then added the base filler/grey paint.

The next day, got paint made in the paintshop and went up to the garage for painting.

Laying the color done:

Adding the last layers with transparent gloss

And voilĂ*, things looks so much better. Pictures below are after about 15 hours of dry

Letting the baby get a feeling of the "new" home, I could not stand having an engine like that, bolted up in a dirty and bad-looking enginebay
This time mountined it with the gearbox mounted to the engine, but surprisingly the paint was not scratched any places!

Ordered AN fittings and steelbraided lines for 1087 US dollars with todays currency! Must admit it's in imo shit expensive for AN fittings, at least here in Norway.

Bought 2 x Meziere waterpumps, they are quite big and heavy, so I guess they will flow the water pretty fast. Each pump delivers 22 gallons trough the engine.

Also got fabbed an expansion tank for the radiator in aluminium.

Will update this in mid January, hopefully more things are done then

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE!

__________________________________________________ _________________________