View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #52
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
I've got $100 that says I can upgrade any Nissan SR or RB to run LS coils with a stock computer, and I'd also be willing to bet they'd outperform new Nissan coils,
Jordan, I know this. I just want to know how you're hooking them up

Listen Sloppy West, don't get short with me hehe. BUt seriously, I was always under a (albiet false now) assumption that the stock ECU wasn't able to trigger them properly.

If you wouldn't mind, PM/Facebook me with more info - 'spoonfeed me baby' In the meantime I'll be reading these threads you posted

Quote:
I believe with the stock computer (no igniter, coils have them built in) you get a dwell time around 1ms, whereas 3-5ms is 'optimal'... still, 1ms is getting PLENTY of spark energy. I don't have the link that shows the testing video (I think it was on youtube) but I'll keep looking - they tested LS1 vs LQ9 coils at all different dwell times and gaps on a 'scope with excellent results at low dwell and high gaps.
THis is what I was getting at - I was always under the impression that the spark time would require different 'optimal' timing...thus putting most Stock or Rom based guys out without help. I do understand the 'increased voltage' aspect, but still don't know how well they would work on stockish applications.

Riding of the ignitor though is always a great thing, as so many people have issues with them as it is (i haven't, but a nice thing to not worry about)

Quote:
When you're asking about amperage, you mean charge current or how much current they draw during operation?
I meant in respect to how much draw on the system, but it really won't be much more than stock as it's a simple 12v (or it ground i forget) signal to fire them as they are. I was a bit 'off' when I wrote that.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote