View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #22
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Z32 transmission has got the be the best bang for the buck option. Its also probably the easiest to do/fit.

Key points to consider would be:

-Cheap

-Easy to find

-Have been proven to hold 800+hp

-Retains entire SR clutch/flywheel setup

-Retains factory SR starter

-Z32 transmission/alternator harness is easily adaptable

-Doesn't hang below the frame rails

-Adapter plate and shifter re-location are cheap

A little machine work, the right trans cross member and a new driveshaft get you a transmission that is much stronger than the factory one without any real downsides

I’ve never shifted one, I’ll have to drive a z to find out but shifter feel is big for me. The speed and feel of the bmw boxes is the reason why I’ve gotten so interested. No doubt the z32 Trans is best bang for the buck but are there readily available rebuild kits/aftermarket gearsets for them? These are old transmissions with lots of miles and I’m sure the internals on quite a few are tired. Just like 350zs are becoming better options than 240s in drifting due to low cost/better all around capability and generally lower mileage, maybe it’s time to pass the torch?
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote