View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #32
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Just wanted to share solution that I'm now offering for BMW E36 (all) and E46 (non-M) cars. Brand new OEM BMW front and rear wheel hubs precision machined to accept and installed with ARP press-in wheels studs. Like most German cars, BMW's come with lug bolts, which are a PITA to deal with when removing/installing wheels often. The ubiquitous thing to do for those who dedicate their cars to HPDE and/or track competition is to use "thread-in" conversion studs, not only for ease of servicing, but to use spacers.

Should be good, right? Not really...almost every single AER event a BMW will at least break one thread-in stud on a random corner of the car during a race and luckily people tend to find them before catastrophe. But, sometimes they don't and you get this (video of Mid-Ohio incident), which I was only seconds behind:

Wheel studs breaking and wreck

And another one at the Calabogie race in August

As crazy as it seems, it isn't uncommon. Basically every brand (Turner, Bimmerworld, MSI, Apex, etc...) of conversion stud out there has been reported to break. It's a somewhat hotly debated topic (and we can get into here for the sake of keeping the forum active), but it's obviously an inferior interface to that of press-in studs. Typically other components break, like the wheel itself, before an ARP stud will fail. Failures of ARP wheel studs are almost unheard of.

So, I want to bring that peace of mind to BMW E36/46 owners with the ability to run up to 12mm to 20mm wheel spacers depending on which wheel stud is chosen. Also peace of mind for us when racing next to these guys!:

https://www.core4motorsports.com/pro...hub-conversion