View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
GabeG

Trader Rating: (0)
GabeG is an unknown quantity at this point
KA KA won't start - fuel issue?

[backstory] My friend and I bought a '93 S13 with crank no start. It has a KA24DE; when we got our hands on it, it had stock ECU, some huge intake manifold with most of the sensors and vacuum lines missing, and some leaky fuel rail with unknown injectors. It seemed like it had a fueling issue, so we traced down that the fuel pump was out. We got the fuel pump working, but were unable to get it to start. --So we concluded that we'd be better off putting the stock equipment back on. We removed the aftermarket manifold and injectors and installed the stock stuff.

[Problem] So now that we have the intake and injectors back to stock, we try to start the engine, and it still won't start, and the cylinder #1 injector is leaking super bad from the (new) gasket between the injector and manifold, so we call it a night. I come back the next day to find the intake manifold and cylinders filled to the brim with fuel! Fuel is literally spilling out of the throttle body! I panic a bit, pump all the fuel out of the mani and cylinders, turn it over with the plugs out, change the oil, and then got it to run off of starter fluid! Thankfully, we didn't bend Rodney

[Question] So, here's what I'm thinking: How would the the engine and manifold fill with over half a gallon of fuel after trying to start the engine once? My thought is that, for some reason, the injectors are staying open. I hooked up my multi meter to one of the injector harnesses (which are aftermarket plugs intended for the aftermarket injectors that were poorly spliced by the PO) yesterday, and found that it kept a constant voltage until the battery is disconnected after opening the door without having the key in the ign. However, I usually leave disconnect the battery overnight, or else it will go flat.
SO, where do I go from here? What else would be worth checking?

Thanks!
GabeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links