View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #92
signalpuke
@savagepuke

Trader Rating: (3)
signalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymore
Neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
I'm very interested in the true max limit on what the stock block can actually hold reliably. I see some people hit high numbers on the dyno but for how long.
D-Rob on K20A.org has a ton of daily drivers that he's dyno'd. From 450-800+ WHP. Bone stock engines for the most part, but he also did some elaborate tunes on built engines and superchargers. It's all in the tuning. The K-series engines are special because they have active cam phasing. It's like an adjustable cam gear controlled by the ECU that you can tune. This is why the K-series Honda engines have so much torque and can carry it to a higher RPM resulting in more HP. With boost, it's like having the perfect intake cam at every 100RPM for the boost and speed of the engine at that exact time. Honda calls it VTC. It's on the intake cam only. VTEC is for longer duration and higher lift for the valves.

I went more in depth to it here for the Supra guys, and linked back to a forum I used to Admin for more in depth explanation of how it all works.
https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...530737/page-40

Not all K-series engines have the same VTC and VTEC setups, so if you're actually curious about the limits per head, or engine differences in general, check out the FAQ/DIY compilation I put together here:
https://www.k20a.org/threads/diy-faq...diy-faq.53589/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
with the k motors have they gone to a closed or semi closed deck? if not then the continued risk of cylinder warp/walk still exists...
They're not 30 year old D-series designs. The biggest issue for road course/auto-x/drifting is going to be oil related, and all that requires is a baffle. The capacity of the OEM oil pan isn't an issue.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote