View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
zwzweston
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
zwzweston is an unknown quantity at this point
But before figuring out that the FPR was toast I dove into the fuel pump assembly as the PO said he replaced it but it wasn’t priming at ACC. I pulled out the trusty multimeter and found I was getting voltage up to the fuel pump connector, so I pulled the pump as well. Turns out the two rubber hoses running from the fuel pump assembly to the hardlines were all chewed up and they’re near impossible to replace with the gas tank in the car.

Hard to see but they’re split on both ends. I’m working on the car on the side of the road atm and couldn’t really drop the subframe to pull the tank so I decided to try a different approach.

PURISTS AND OSHA INSPECTORS SKIP FORWARD PLEASE

I used some tinsnips to notch out the porthole accessing the fuel tank/pump area like a barbarian:

And then very carefully set to work with a cut off wheel, after covering the area with soaking wet shop towels to dampen any sparks.

Turned out alright imo, and I started making a replacement bulkhead as well to cover the notch.
Template

In progress

Super rough test fit

That will get finished up eventually but was out on hold when I pulled the pump for the third time (put it back in to seal the tank while cutting) and tested it. So the pump works, and voltage is getting to the harness connector, but the pump isn’t getting voltage in the car.

(Bonus shot of the wet shop towels after I left them out to “dry” — so you can see what kind of weather I’m working with lol)

Last edited by zwzweston; 02-28-2024 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot image
zwzweston is offline   Reply With Quote