View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #13661
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Cause yeah, that totally describes a WRX, you know the Turbo car they do sell.

This is the problem.

It's a bullshit excuse. We know they have 300hp turbo engines on tap and can pass emissions etc.

If it's all about "an AE86" experience, then they should have built built a rev happy engine with linear torque and a nice VVL transition - aka F20C, K24, Porsche M96... Or even their own Ez30r.

Ez30r would have been the perfect OEM NA engine, adding 55hp, 60 ft/tq and the same red line with a nice VVL bump and great exhaust note.

Engine is 1.5" longer and like 40lbs heavier.

FA20 is a piece of shit.
Nobody's talking about the FA20 at this point, but whatever.

But lets compare the WRX and Ascent engines

2015+ USDM Subaru WRX:
Power: 268 hp (200 kW; 272 PS) at 5,600 RPM
Torque: 258 lb⋅ft (350 N⋅m; 36 kg⋅m) at 2,000-5,200 RPM
Rev Limit: 6700 RPM
Compression Ratio: 10.6:1

2019+ USDM Subaru Ascent
Power: 260 hp (194 kW; 264 PS) at 5,600 RPM
Torque: 277 lb⋅ft (376 N⋅m; 38 kg⋅m) at 2,000-4,800 RPM
Rev Limit: 6000 RPM
Compression Ratio: 10.6:1

I don't know man, I think a BRZ with a WRX engine and an Ascent engine would both drive pretty much the same, and very different than an stock BRZ, even ignoring the acceleration difference.

If you want a AE86 style BRZ, seems like you're all set. If you want a high torque power house (comparatively) you're just an engine swap away, or keep waiting for Subaru would build essentially this as an OEM turbo version. If you want a high power, high rev sports car, you're going to have to build that yourself since Subaru is never going to build that car. I can't think of any cars that have an engine that fits that description except maybe a Civic Type R. Everything else with a turbo seems to have that "max torque from 2k-5k rpm" style of tuning. I think the forum warriors were going to be disappointed no matter what happened. At least the NA FA24 is easier and cheaper for Subaru.