View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 04:10 AM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
a heater core should not be hot 100% of the time, this is why cars that are well-designed have coolant shutoff control valves / bypass valves. the 240 is one of the few that i know that has the valve integrated into the core and is controlled via cable. other cars have an actual valve that can be actuated electronically (solenoid) or manually (knob). some allow bypass so that the coolant flow is not blocked.

my first experience with this was the shitty miata which not only has bad coolant flow design, but also keeps the core hot 100% of the time resulting in hot cabin. the miata forums are full of some of the dumbest people on the planet, and they advise things like sealing up the HVAC ducting - not realizing that the heater core is hot, so ducting is a moot point. the solution to eliminating hot air from the cabin is removing heat from the heat source (ie: the core).

if you're cheap/lazy grab the manual heater shutoff valve and plumb it. if your feeling fancy you can use an electronic one with solenoid, even go as far as to mount a switch in the HVAC controls so that you can ditch the cable going to the flap.

the billet outlet with an fittings is totally pointless. most of the time i see absolutely no merit in going with AN fittings, unless you just like to tell people about how much time and money you've spent on them. they are expensive and a pain in the ass to work on. absolutely nothing wrong with rubber hose (not silicone) + quality stainless clamp. silicone hoses suck as well, only limited uses for those.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote