View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #1313
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
With the Evo 8 fronts and STi rears my 1" Frontier BMC with manual booster feels mushy with more pedal travel than I'd like. My Evo 9 came with a 17/16" BMC and the pedal feels great so I'm planning on upgrading the s14 to a 17/16".

Don't you guys go through rotors quickly on the aggressive compounds? The Z33 rotor and Wilwood caliper combo would seem to be the best and cost effective solution. Centric rear rotors are $28 each on RockAuto. Lighter suspension components and knuckles could offset the additional weight.

Don't discount that the EVO is a newer chassis and likely has more rigid/stiffer everything, which is directly correlated with pedal feel. Every bit of system deflection is wasted pedal travel.

But, yea, most of the newer cars with bigger brakes use a 17/16" MC. What we ended up liking the best as well. 17/16" Z32 MC's were used only up to 1991 IIRC. Every year after that was the 1".

Race compounds are all different. Race compounds worth a damn are very rotor friendly. Rotors will get timed out from heat/stress cracking than from thickness thresholds. One set of our front rotors lasts about 2 endurance race weekends. That's approximately 40 hours racing/track use. The rears go even more. The castings are higher quality.

It'll be difficult to match/offset the weight loss through suspension components. The front 2-piece is more than 6lbs lighter than the Z33 one piece. The rear is similar. Don't recall exactly what it is. I'll get check in a bit.