View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #16
LtSlayer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LtSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
Solid lifters aren't for everyone, as they cost more and require more maintenance. However, they are more robust and consistent. They won't collapse EVER, and reduce the quantity of failure points in an already failure-prone valvetrain. They just require a bit more attention to detail, so definitely not for people who aren't very good with maintenance (90% of 240 "enthusiasts").
Preciseley, I currently do and plan to continue to maintenance the motor myself. I understand the solid lifters are more expensive and require maintenance but if you work on your own car you're sure to pop it open often anyways. I want solid lifters for the reliability as I've already cracked a rocker and wouldn't want my car down for long again. I'm trying to stay within the budget of ~5k this summer to work towards these upgrades knowing full well I can't get them all at once. What would you suggest?

I would like to build the head but to do this I'd be converting to solid lifters which require the springs etc to be built as well as a tune/ wiring harness. I'd like to start with reliability then power next next summer. What do you suggest for reliability? My cooling motor/IAT is already solid with mishimoto and koyorad but I want to insure the motor mechanically a bit more without needing a tune or wiring harness. I'd appreciate any suggestions. considering an oil cooler but mainly looking to build the head rn without requiring a tune. The main reason I want to go to solid is that they're undeniably easier to shim.

to summarize, 5k upgrades that don't require tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
My question is why do you want to upgrade to solid lifters? 260 duration cams arent really all that amazing. Keep it simple do b15 lifters, and whatever jwt cam of your choice. If you want to upgrade the springs and retainers get them from jwt as well and voila done deal with zero headache and everything drops in.
I want these cams because they're the lowest duration for solid cams i found on enjuku. I understand theyre not the best for power/top end but this is a daily that I want to have some power in. Solid so i can maintenance the lash without special tools and reliability. I just want a clean bullet proof sr that'll last me untill i may one day regretably pass it on to my currently nonexistent child
LtSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote